Wednesday 20 November 2013

Free lesson plan: writing a love poem

LESSON PLAN: WRiting a love poem

for aspiring adult writers and teenagers, exploring romance and commitment through poetry.

Could be adapted for younger age groups


Groups, timing
content
A/V aids
      Introduction
5 minutes
In this hour we will
1. Read two poems
2. Discuss their meaning
3. Write a few lines
4. Share a little

Aims projected overhead
      First poem 
2 minutes
Wedding by Alice Oswald
Handout: Wedding
      Impressions
5 minutes
What strikes you first of all?

      Rereading
In pairs, 5 minutes
Read the poem to a partner and talk about its meaning.

      Deeper thoughts
silently, 5 minutes
It's quite an intimate poem, write down some ideas; what does the poem evoke for you? 
Paper and pens
       Second poem 
2 minutes
If I could tell you by WH Auden
Handout: If I could tell you
      Impressions
5 minutes
Seek to include people who haven't spoken up.

       Rereading.
In pairs, 5 minutes
 Read the poem to a partner and talk about its meaning.


      Writing
silently, 10 minutes
Write creatively borrowing an idea or a rhythm from the poems.

      Sharing
 10 minutes
Talk about what you've learnt or read your writing aloud 

     Feedback
5 minutes
Comments on today's task
      Summary
1 minute
Well done, today we've done some creative thinking and writing.


Handout, page set-up: landscape, two columns cut to A5 size

If I Could Tell You
Time will say nothing but I told you so
Time only knows the price we have to pay;
If I could tell you I would let you know.

If we should weep when clowns put on their show,
If we should stumble when musicians play,
Time will say nothing but I told you so.

There are no fortunes to be sold, although,
Because I love you more than I can say,
If I could tell you I would let you know.

The winds must come from somewhere when they blow,
There must be reasons why the leaves decay;
Time will say nothing but I told you so.

Perhaps the roses really want to grow,
The vision seriously intends to stay;
If I could tell you I would let you know.

Suppose the lions all get up and go,
And the brooks and soldiers run away;
Will Time say nothing but I told you so?
If I could tell you I would let you know. 
WH Auden
Wedding

From time to time our love is like a sail
and when the sail begins to alternate
from tack to tack, it's like a swallowtail
and when the swallow flies it's like a coat;
and if the coat is yours, it has a tear
like a wide mouth and when the mouth begins
to draw the wind, it's like a trumpeter
and when the trumpet blows, it blows like millions . . .
and this, my love, when millions come and go
beyond the need of us, is like a trick;
and when the trick begins, it's like a toe
tip-toeing on a rope, which is like luck;
and when the luck begins, it's like a wedding,
which is like love, which is like everything.


 Alice Oswald

No comments:

Post a Comment