Friday 21 September 2018

Should I be surprised? Bumblebees are active

September bumblebees

White-tailed bumblebees are still collecting pollen, 

Here's a white-tailed bumble on a windy day on 18th September, feeding on an evergreen Hebe shrub, [sapphire variety] in a park in Bristol:



Around mid-September I expected queen white-tailed bumblebees to be seeking a quiet underground tunnel to overwinter. In fact I photographed a queen bee doing exactly that back in August. 
But this worker bee indicates otherwise.

She's carrying a pollen basket, signifying that she's still collecting pollen for her colony. After many mild winters and speculation about global warming maybe I shouldn't be surprised at this even on mild days in October. 
I guess you're still going to find bumblebees if you look in October and November. 
But if you do see one, is it a queen about to hibernate, a lone survivor or a worker and member of a persistently active colony?

Menawhile here's a common carder been on white deadnettle in the same park
The strong wind was causing this bee considerable problems.

And here's a common carder bee feeding on a Fuchsia in a Bristol garden after 5pm. 



That's a long day's work.








1 comment:

  1. I have been on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and I never thought I would ever get a cure. This made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship. He broke up with me when he found out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on a Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got cured and let her contact details, so I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give it a try too and use his herbal medicine. That was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can Cure all Neuromuscular Diseases,Hiv/Aids,Hsv,Cancers all types with his natural herbal medicines. (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or visit his website on www.drituaherbalcenter.com)

    ReplyDelete